Union College is located in the city of Schenectady in New York’s Capital District.
Hop a flight directly into Albany International–we’re just 20 minutes from the airport, including traffic. We’re also easily accessible by car as well as by Amtrak and Megabus. Union is 25 minutes west of Albany, three hours west of Boston and three hours north of New York City. [Additional directions here.]
Driving Directions From the North and South:
From New York State Thruway Exit 24, take the Northway (I-87) north to Exit 6 (marked ‘Route 7 west’). Follow Route 7 west for 6.5 miles and bear right onto Union Street. Continue on Union Street for 2.7 miles and enter the campus through Payne Gate on the right.
From the East:
From I-90 West, take the New York State Thruway Exit B1. Continue on I-90 West to Exit 1.Take I-87 North (the Adirondack Northway). Follow the directions from the Northway as listed above.
From the West:
From Thruway Exit 26, take I-890 east to Exit 4 (Erie Boulevard). Follow Erie Boulevard north to Union Street (second light after the Amtrak station), turn right onto Union Street, and follow for one mile. Enter the campus through Payne Gate on the left.
Union College is also within easy driving distance to the Albany International Airport. By Air Taxi and rental car services are available from Albany Airport, about a 20-minute drive from campus. By rental car, turn right at the airport exit onto Albany-Shaker Road and drive north to Route 7. Turn left onto Route 7 west (there is a car dealership at that light). Follow Route 7 for 4 miles and bear right onto Union Street. Continue on Union Street for 2.7 miles and enter the campus through Payne Gate on the right.
If you are driving to campus, please plan to park in the Seward/Nott parking lot. Union’s Special Events office will provide signage from the Seward/Nott parking lot to the Wold building. Please see these maps to locate the Seward/Nott parking lot on our campus.
Where to Stay:
Overnight accommodations in the local area are listed below. Please keep in mind that this list has been compiled for the convenience of Union visitors and friends and is not intended to be an endorsement of any particular establishment. Some establishments may require minimum stays depending on Union or other local events.
All area codes are 518.
Schenectady and surrounding area:
Note: We have not booked a block of rooms in any hotel for THATCamp H+E. However, we recommend any of the following hotels in the local area and especially the Holiday Inn and the Hampton Inn (based both on cost as well as proximity to the campus).
- Holiday Inn: 100 Nott Terrace; Schenectady; 393-4141. 1/2 mile from campus
- The English Garden Bed and Breakfast: 205 Union St., Schenectady; 630-6760. 3/4 mile from campus
- Hampton Inn: 450 State St., Schenectady; 377-4500. 1 mile from campus
- The Stockade Inn: 1 North Church St., Schenectady; 346-3400. 1 mile from campus
- Glen Sanders Mansion: One Glen Avenue, Scotia; 374-7262. 2 miles from campus
- Belvedere Hotel: 1926 Curry Road, Schenectady; 630-4020 or (866) 4-belvedere. 5 miles from campus
- Altamont Old Stone House Inn: 1160 Berne Altamont Road, Altamont; 861-0200. 13 miles from campus
- Mariaville Lake Bed & Breakfast: 176 Batter St., Mariaville; 864-5252. 14 miles from campus
- The Van Voast House Bed & Breakfast 1353 Union St., Schenectady; 393-1634. Less than one mile from campus
Where to Eat During your Stay at Union and in Schenectady:
Here are some recommended local restaurants to try while you’re in town:
Maps of Union College (our historic campus, parking, etc.) can be found here.